View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upstream Nymphing: Slack or Tight Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Here's my question: Because the water near the bottom of the stream is moving slower than the water on the top, why wouldn't we leave slack in the
line and use and indicator? Wouldn't this help prevent the nymph from drifting too fast?
I have read "Prospecting...." but that was many years ago..
In the magazine article that I referenced above, the Coleman march brown nymph is tied to fish like an anvil.... it's loaded with lead and Coleman taught Rosenbauer this upstream nymphing technique with this fly.
The fly is slowly rolling along the bottom, it's not tied to drift quickly, and you're keeping a tight line to feel the strike.
The same technique can be used with non-weighted flies higher in the water column

As to your question on "why not just use an indicator" .........