Thread: New to salt
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Did you try the floating line, or just take one man's opinion as gospel ?
I fish a floater in the surf much of the time, and contrary to popular opinion, you have more control over the line rather than less. The ability to mend and the use of traditional fly rodding methods makes the difference
This is just one person's personal experience of course
I'll have to agree with Rip on this one. I use sinking lines in deeper waters but usually use a floater when I wade from shore. Much better line control, If I can't get the fish to rise, a heavy fly like a Clouser and a 10-12ft leader will get me deep enough while still being able to mend line.

FYI, three years ago I never fished a floating line in the salt. Rip made a comment on one of my early posts about being able to mend over the surf with a floater and I've been using them ever since. Good luck and I wouldn't go below a 7WT for the salt due to the the size if the flies you will be throwing and the wind you will encounter.