View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Silver, I think what the Orvis guy meant was having mainly the bones in the arm in alignment (and hopefully the muscles follow suit). I am hardly an experienced caster, so I'm looking at it purely from a biomechanics perspective. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, just how I was told in my fly fishing 101 intro. The guy was pretty adamant about thumb on top. Rather like giving a thumbs up, where all the bones in your arm are in alignment. Upon pointing with one's index, your radius and ulna are forced to twist. If it were simply an alignment issue, the thumb would almost be rolling off the top of the reel with the palm beginning to face upward. However, this is simply from the perspective of biomechanics and not proper fly fishing mechanics. I was originally only parroting what I was taught.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...