View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Jackster,

A guy on another site was raving about how Peter Morse (a FFF MCI, Guide, Fishing program host etc. in Austrailia) had totally changed the way he cast and added so much distance and ease to his cast that he couldn't believe it.

So I asked the guy specifically what Morsie had changed. He changed the grip and the stance. I then asked Morsie for specifics and he elaborated saying that he often sees open stances with closed shoulders, and thumb on top backcasts that are counter productive. The student had been FFing for more than 40 years and with one lesson was casting further and with less effort than ever before.

I asked Morsie if he thought that "fundamental" changes like grip and stance helped to erase muscle memory built up over years of casting, and he said "Absolutely!".

So I would encourage people to experiment with different grips and stances even if you have no trouble casting. You may stumble upon something that makes your day, or eases your arthritis.

Cheers,
Jim