View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Maybe I'm blind, but I see Raejeff's thumb on top.
Anyway, after seeing this video, and reading what I could on the subject, I have yet to run across anyone even mentioning how to grip the rod with just one grip.
Myself, I think it's whats comfortable and what works for you. And for me, I like the thumb on top. Although once in a while fishing small streams, I will use my finger on top for short casts.
I completely agree with you that an caster should use what is comfortable and what works for them. The question is what to do when what is comfortable does not work.

I don't think you are blind. There is a difference between where the thumb is when the rod is held at rest and where the thumb is when the rod is cast. It is the position of the thumb relative to the rod stroke during the cast that is critical. Here's another video from a better angle. Look at about 30 seconds. I think when Steve bring the rod forward his thumb is to the inside of the grip.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy