View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming's Medicine Bow national forest

Lambster

I have fished a few of the creeks in Medicine Bow NF. I'm not a big fan of small creek fishing so I don't do that a lot. My favorite is the North Platte. It offers excellent fishing for rainbows, cuts and browns. I have fished Hog Park Reservoir (not the creek), Douglas Creek, Encampment River, Saratoga Lake, Lake Owen and French Creek. I don't know where Lake Shelf is, so I can't give any info.

The local fly shop (Four Seasons Anglers, phone: 307-721-4047) will give you much better information than I can. They are very friendly and willing to offer advice. You might also check out their web site as they have a North Platte hatch chart and fishing conditions, but don't keep it up to date as much as I would like.

This year I bought a used drift boat so I have been doing most of my fishing from that. I have fished the North Platte Grey Reef section below Alcova, WY (its a tailwater) and the section from Treasure Island (some maps call this Baldwins) to Saratoga. This past winter we had a really snow pack so the spring run off is just finishing. Up until now a lot of the rivers have been very high and off color.

Larry