View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I completely agree with you that an caster should use what is comfortable and what works for them. The question is what to do when what is comfortable does not work.

I don't think you are blind. There is a difference between where the thumb is when the rod is held at rest and where the thumb is when the rod is cast. It is the position of the thumb relative to the rod stroke during the cast that is critical. Here's another video from a better angle. Look at about 30 seconds. I think when Steve bring the rod forward his thumb is to the inside of the grip.

Steve Rajeff - Super Flycasting - YouTube
That was a long time ago!
Again, I see the thumb on top until the line is out on the final cast when he shoots the line and it takes out some of the backing- then I see his thumb slide to his left. After the cast. Last few seconds of the video.
Any way, good thread, good answers, good beer.