View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming's Medicine Bow national forest

Yes I agree their trips are kind of high, but most of the guides around here are in the 380-450 range with the average being 400. I used a guide over in Saratoga, WY a couple weeks ago to show me the North Platte from Treasure Island to Saratoga. I used Stoney Creek Outfitters, between the two of us we probably caught 25-30 fish in the 14-18" range. The river was still pretty high from run off but the guide still was able to put us on a lot of fish. I really liked the service they provided. Here is a listing of wyoming fishing guides:
Wyoming Fishing Network: Guides & Outfitters

I also fish on the Grey Reef section of the North Platte (near Alcova, WY), I bought myself a used drift boat and I'm still learning the art of rowing. The Grey Reef is a tailwater and has some really large rainbows and brown trout (they catch 8-10 lb fish there every year), but like all tailwaters it gets hammered by fisherman and therefore the fishing gets technicial. The biggest fish I have caught was around 16" but my fishing partner has landed a number of fish in the 18-20" range. If your after a trophy brown I would suggest talking to these folks, as the offer a NPL Trophy Package: Wyoming Trout Fly Fishing North Platte Lodge alcova wyoming wy

I also have fished the San Juan River (its also a tailwater). I've used a guide 3-4 times and we have caught some really large rainbows/browns. The guide service I have used is Duranglers out of Durango, CO. The first year my son and I fished that river, after about an hour of fishing we both had lost count of the number of fish we had hooked into and those fish were in the 16-23" range.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambster View Post
Thanks Larry for the info! My goal is a trophy Brown which I haven't hooked yet.....I thought their Driftboat trips were kinda high at Four Saesons anglers, we charge $350 here in GeorgiaFlyGuide.... I'm still checking around for other guides in the area, do you know of any other Outfitters that have a lower price then $495? We have a 8 day trip to that area but have to use the money proper!
Lambster