Thread: Tuna on the fly
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Tuna on the fly

My old man is a long time fixture fishing out of Garibaldi in Tillamook Bay Oregon for just about everything. The last few years or so his obsession is tuna. Lots of tuna. Albacore tuna on the brain. I have been thinking about tagging along one of these days to try and hook some tuna on a fly. It is a long ride out to the tuna usually but i imagine that it would be some spectacular action on a fly rod. Of course i would need a 10-12wt rod but that is easily solved.

So, i am hoping someone on this forum has done some tuna fishing with a fly in the Pacific and they are willing to pass along some knowledge.

I'm curious as to what the technique and fly patterns used. Is it a fast strip retrieve? I imagine the flies are bright and gaudy.

Ard, you seem to know everything else, what do you have filed away on this subject?