Thread: Tuna on the fly
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuna on the fly

I fish for the smaller hardtails here in southern NewEngland from my kayak. False albacore (little tunny) and bonito, but there's a good following for bluefin tuna also. The bluefin are a little more than I care to deal with, plus you need at least a 14 weight.
There's a run&gun mentality when it comes to albies but if you watch them they have a definite pattern to their feeding. You figure that out and they will come to you rather than you having to chase them.
They're speedsters (that's why they're popular ) but they don't maneuver well, so expect to see them swim in a relatively straight line, only surfacing and diving in the water column.
They have excellent eyesight so you want to go long and fine and use imitator flies to "match the hatch". While they will take a big squid fly, normally you're better off with something small....and white. I'll drop my fly in their path and then try not to move it out of their feeding zone, but still make it look animated.
A favorite albie fly around here is called the "marabou estaz". But there's a version of this fly everywhere you go so you won't be far off to try one

Click the image to open in full size.