Thread: Tuna on the fly
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tuna on the fly

Thanks for the ideas peregrines. Guess i need to start to look into tying my own flies. I have been putting that off a while.

As for the particulars of the trip...

The Captain would be my old man. He has been fishing on the ocean for 50 years. Operating his own boat out there for at least 40. The boat would be his 26' Striper. It is a pure fishing set up. I should be able to set up an area for me to cast easy enough.

I have been going out on the ocean since i was 12 years old(43 now) after lingcod, red snapper, salmon, halibut, etc, all with my dad. I certainly trust his knowledge and captain abilities(not saying you in anyway implied otherwise) His typical tuna runs are 45-70 miles off shore. Leave the dock at oh dark thirty and back late afternoon usually. He always runs with a friend or two in other boats as well.

Unfortunately i would be the only one fly fishing. I just want to go do it for the obvious excitement of the species. I am certain the would accommodate my fly fishing requirements for the most part. Most of his fishing partners are his buddies i have known all my life. I think they would look on the idea of me fly fishing for tuna with a lot of curiosity. That and humoring "the kid". lol

Great call on being ready for some other species just in case. More than one blue shark has been boating over the years. Dont know if Makos come this far north. Great Whites have been spotted up here and have attacked surfers as well.

Thanks again for the info, just what i was looking for.