View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with loop getting caught on butt of rod

This additional thought occurred to me.

I bet that when the line wraps around the rod, you dropped the line. I almost never do unless I want extreme distance. I use the O-ring method that Gary Borger taught me. By keeping my left line hand away from my right rod and and shooting line through an O-ring in my left hand, I keep the shooting line away from the rod and reel.

When you drop the line, it is free to fly up to the rod uncontrolled. It is only when I want to cast at my maximum and want to eliminate the friction from the O-ring that I drop the line from my left hand at the shoot.

At the end of the cast, I close the O-ring and I have immediate control of the line in my line hand. I do not need to grab for it and my attention remains on my fly.

Fish, Flies & Water [blog] Blog Archive O-Ring Method (Shooting Line)

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy