Thread: Cleaning Trout
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning Trout

In this heat, if you want to keep a few stocked fish, and it's legal, kill them quickly and put them on ice if you can. To clean, just remove the gills and slit the belly to remove the guts. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I would remove the gills right away after killing one. If you gut it too, you have the advantage of seeing what they're feeding on. But in cleaning stocked fish, I've found everything from white rocks to cigarette filters so I'm not sure how much it will help... You can use a spoon, or your fingers to remove the blood line under the spine under cold water when you get home.

Trout have small scales, so it's not a big deal either way, but if you are going to eat the skin, scale it, if not, you don't have to bother.

Add butter, lemon and sliced almonds. To debone, I use two tablespoons run along the spine after it's cooked to get fillets, but check for bones.

peregrines