View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default MAYFLY Rotary Vise

Hello all,

just wanted to share a small review of the Mayfly rotary vise. These vises can be purchased on eBay or direct.

A gentalmen named Fred designed it in Mountain Home, AR. (Very close to the White and Norfork rivers) He is having them manufactored overseas and then he inspects each one by hand before he ships them out to his customers.

I have been wanting a rotary vise for a long time, but for the amount of tying I do, I didn't feel I could justify spending a lot of money on a rotary vise. I had looked at Peak and was thinkning of going that rout but I saw one at Bass Pro and I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure its a great vise but I had seen this one and was more curious about it.

They sell for $66 plus $8 shipping on eBay. All stainless/aluminum contruction with full warranty through Fred.

I ordered it on Sunday direct from Fred and got free shipping making $66 shipped! It shipped monday morning and arrived Tuesday afternoon! Wow, that was fast!

Upon taking it out of the box, my first thought was, for the money, this thing is built very well. Nice heavy base with foam pad on bottom, bobbin holder and material clip included, stainless shaft, steel jaws, oversized bearing block.

I mounted several hooks from size 20 to 2 with ease. I belive you could easily tie smaller hooks just didn't have any on hand to try.

The only negative thing I could find (if you can call it that) was, the screws felt cheap. I don't think this is a big problem and I think this was a way of putting the money into the more important areas of the vise ie best bang for the buck. I am thinking of just going to the hardware store and buying some nice stainless replacements. Less than 2 bucks, easy. Honestly, I don't feel like its a problem at all just thought it was worth mentioning.

I'll post some more pics if anyone wants me to, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

All in all, I think this is a awesome true rotary vise for under $75!

Hope this is good info!

-Jason

Click the image to open in full size.