View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM

clwpaddler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wyoming trip in two weeks!

Well, back from Wyoming and it was a blast. Arrived in Salt Lake City on Saturday afternoon, picked up the Ford E-150 shell van from Enterprise Rent-a-car and headed for the hotel. If you want a cheap way to travel and your not opposed to camping, using the shell van is the way to go. $500.00 for two weeks and it got 23 miles to the gallon.

Sunday morning early were off to Super Walmart for supplies and food including a a Coleman Queen size air mattress for the back of the van, very comfortable. A 3 hour drive brought us to Pinedale in the Wind River Range. Hit the Two Rivers Emporium for some flies and licenses. $110 per license X 2 for my wife and I and another $50.00 for flies and were off to Fremont Lake National Forest Campground. Beautiful lake!!!, great campground, hungry trout right at the boat launch.

Our plans to hike back to some of the remote lakes and fish were put on hold for when we arrived at the Green River Lakes campground the the mosquito's almost levitated me. These things were as big as the 737 that we flew out there on!

Change of plans and instead fished some of the other lakes that did not require back country hiking and always found willing fishy's to tug on our lines.

Around the end of the first week we packed up and headed to the Tetons where we stayed at Coulter Bay on Lake Jackson the head water of the Snake River. Beautiful lake surrounded by beautiful peaks complete with snow on the upper passes.

Not much luck on the rivers in the Tetons but some of the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine as a back drop to fishing.

The final 3 days were spent in Yellowstone where we had some luck on the Gibbon and the Yellowstone.

All of the rivers and lakes were waded bare legged. Small 14 and 16 dry flies as well as elk hair caddis were very productive. By now the terrestrial patterns should be good, it's only been 5 weeks since some areas quit shoveling snow. Lake Solitude in the Tetons is still frozen solid and covered in snow.

We left to head back to Salt Lake City by way of the town of West Yellowstone. Absolutely beautiful and will be the area we base out of next trip in two years. The Madison, the Gibbon, the Yellowstone and numerous other rivers are within an hour drive.

For the first trip out west it was a blast but Florida boys seem to require more oxygen than folks from Wyoming. I think that it was at least the 4th day before I began to acclimate to the altitude.

If anyone is heading that way and have any questions feel free to pm me and I will try to share any knowledge that I gained. Tight lines