View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind knots in tippet or leader

What I do with the knot depends on where it is and if the waters I am fishing hold big fish that can break a weakened leader.What I do with the knot depends on where it is and if the waters I am fishing hold big fish that can break a weakened leader.

If the knot is in the butt or midsection of the leader, I take it out. I use a home made knot picker made from a sewing needle. You can also use a safety pin or a diaper pin. The reason I take the knot out and don't replace the section is that even a knot weakened butt section or mid section of a leader will be stronger than a new tippet.

If the knot is on the tippet, I will replace the tippet ONLY IF the potential fish are large enough to break the tippet. Otherwise, what is the point. Just pull the knot tight and keep fishing. For the small streams I fish locally, a 13 inch Brookie is huge and no way would it break even a knot filled 5X tippet.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy