View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaders and Tippet Material

Axle-

I mix quite a bit and think that as long as you tie good knots and seat them well (lubricated with spit), you should be fine. Many of the "store brand" labelled lines are made in the same factories as some of the "tippet brands" I'd imagine, perhaps to slightly different specs. That being said you can occasionally get a bad batch of any tippet-- perhaps from sitting in sunlight for a long time in a shop, so I would test a short piece right off the spool (no knots) to see if it snaps too easily and pitch it if it does, but that's not a brand issue.

Since the suppleness, breaking strength, and abrasion resistance can differ among brands, I look for supple stuff like Frog Hair, Rio or Puglisi (if you can find it) for really light 7x stuff, and the strongest lb breaking strength I can find in 0x or 1x for throwing streamers. In between I've been using some different stuff for tippet Rio and Frog hair mostly since that's what i tend to find in shops around here when i run out. For heavier sections further up on the leader which i rarely need to replace I think I'm still working on some Orvis spools from last year. SW I just use mono soft Mason for butt, Ande mono for mid section and tippet and mono hard mason shock.

I haven't used the Cabelas and am not sure who makes it. Maybe Dai-riki? But i would certainly try it if you got a good deal and you don't hear any horror stories from other folks on the board. Especially if you're looking at 2-5X range and it has a reasonable breaking strength for its X size. 6x and smaller might be a bit more critical in terms of suppleness/strength so I'd probably be more critical when shopping around.

Hope this helps,

peregrines