View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaders and Tippet Material

I am finishing my outfits for a 4 wt (with nothing but a rod and reel) and my 5 wt. The 5wt has some sort of Dacron backing, Cortland 444 Clear water WF5F and some generic leader that the vendor put on. I only use it for practicing.

Now, I got the following:

WF4F - Orvis Green Mountain - $7.99
A set of Orvis Green Moutain tippet material - 12 spools (3X thru 6X, 3 spools of each, 30m per spool) - $6.99
Big Y Fly Leaders - 2/pack in 4X thru 6X - $2.75 each

I also picked up fifty-four (54) assorted dry flies for about $20 and a set of eighteen (18) terrestrials for $12.50 shipped.

It makes me sound cheap, but I really want to get out there with this new 4wt and practice on some panfish in a few local areas. I want some practice on the water in situations where it doesn't mean too much (loosing a sunfish or bluegill won't disappoint me as much as loosing a 3 or 4lb rainbow) before I hit the trout streams later this fall.

I plan on getting a spare spool for the 5wt and put on a different flyline.