View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Talking Breaking in the new rod with a monster!

So I received my new Allen Xa 8wt and Alpha II reel. Line hasn't showed up yet so I spooled it with some Orvis Clearwater line on the cheap. I'm having to learn casting, presentations, and even what flies to use in what situations, but mostly I have just been working on my casting (I have been using a local creek loaded with cruising carp as a moving target range). Here is the first fish I caught on the rod, a real lunker indeed!
Click the image to open in full size.
While I caught four of these guys using a slow hand-over-hand strip retrieve a la fishing for permit, I have not had much luck overall. I have also caught my first walleye ever on the new rod, but again, this tried the scales and measured probably a whopping 5" or so?
Somehow, despite the fact that I can't catch anything that wouldn't be used in some petty sleight-of-hand trick, I am really enjoying this! Now I just need to put a real bend in the rod!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...