View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Long time fisherman first time fly

First of all... welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining.

With that question... you're likely to get a dozen different answers from a dozen different folks... and most of them will be correct. Personal preferences plays a major roll in this type of decision.

In my opinion, the very best rod value on the market today are Echo Fly Rods. For only $139.95 you can get a 5wt or 6wt 9ft 4pc Echo. These rods are a joy to cast and the cosmetics are unsurpassed. You could outfit the rod with a Stone Creek Voyager Fly Reel for $42.00. Then you could add a Cortland 333 Pro WF fly line for $35.00. OK... so now that's about $216.95. I'll bet The Full Creel Fly Shop would let you have that complete outfit assembled with backing for $200 with free shipping.

Now... your other option is the St. Croix Premier 5wt Outfit. You can get Premier Rod, a large arbor reel and line for $150. The Full Creel will pay for shipping on that also.

I would say a 5wt will serve you well as an all around fly rod. It will be great for trout. It will be good for bass and bream as long as the bass bugs are not too large and the bass are not monsters.

There are a lot of members on this forum who also give you some good advice and make some sound recommendations.

Steve