View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Long time fisherman first time fly

I'll agree with both Steve and Curtis. I'd go with the set-up Steve suggested, but in a 6wt. Knowing the type of cover you'll be fishing around in north LA, the size of the trout up there, and the opportunities you'll have to catch largish bass, I think a 6 wt is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you want to have more fun with the bluegill on your trout rod, and think you might be doing some saltwater fishing in the future, go with a 5wt for now and get an 8wt when you want to fish for big bass or in the salt. You'll need a better reel for the salt, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

A 5wt and 8wt combo covers everything. (except when you'll want a 3wt someday for bluegill)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.