Thread: Bug seining?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bug seining?

When I was just getting into fly fishing and trying everything that I read about my also green buddy that was learning at the same time bought a seine. We used it a couple times. I've never owned one. I've never done it myself. Which is curious now that you bring it up. I've thought about it the last couple years. I tie my flies. I love to improvise patterns to match what I think I see. So why don't I do it?

I'll say that I'm sure it could prove to be a useful tool and exercise. But there is a line, or current seam maybe I should say, that it feels like sometimes goes beyond the the mystery that I don't need to cross.

I mean, I observe bugs in the air, on the rocks, ect. I love catching mayflies by the wings and placing them on my knuckle to sit there unaware while I gaze at the size and shape and tails and wing and the elegant beauty of the whole thing. But when I am confounded by rising fish and have worn out my offerings...I find that a pheasant tail soft-hackle in the right size (ahh...how do you know what size? keep guessing and going smaller) will mimic just about anything and fool just about all but the most stubborn fish.

So after all that, I have to laugh at the point you make Bigfly, about the "quintessential" image of the fly fisher, rod under arm, as he/she gazes deep into the fly box searching for an answer! I've always thought that "postcard" image is so silly. But it must be how we are seen by the outside, the romantic version of the fly fisher...deep in consternation!

Nice poll. Thanks!