View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 10:42 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Long time fisherman first time fly

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn.

I also would tend to agree on the rod selection, even though I personally have never used an Echo rod. Cabelas does offer some descent packages for around the same money. One thing you will notice about fly fishing like many other sports is that the price range for equipment can vary greatly depending on what you are willing to spend. One of the things I new when I first started buying my own fly fishing equipment was that I was in this for the "long haul" & I spent a little more money buying rods that have lifetime warranties. ( But that is my personal choice, budgets do play into this also. )

I use my 5wt Scott rod for smallmouth bass all the time, but I also use my 7wt Thomas & Thomas for the same fish. It depends on what fly I plan on using. ( Casting a larger bass bug will be harder for a beginner with a 5wt rod. ) I also agree with the suggestion to view Doug MacNair's website. It never hurts to get help when trying something new. I imagine that you will no doubt be "hooked" into this sport like many of us throughout the country. Any questions just ask.

Tie One On