Thread: More distance
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More distance

Red Owl

One thing to keep in mind is that us guys tend to try to muscle things to get more distance. It always amazes me to see little bitty Joan Wulff, at 39+++++++ years old throw a long line with absolutely no effort.
Without seeing you cast, itís hard to get specific, but you may want to open up your cast a bit to be able to see your line straighten out on the back cast. You may be rushing things--- generally the more line you have out the longer you have to wait for things to straighten out behind you. It sounds like your casts are running out of gas if they pile up. Hard stops on the front and back, and release line for the cast as if your aiming for a point 4 feet off the water might help tighten up your loops and get you out there a little further.

A couple things I tend to do when I try for the horizon is cheat forward before the line is unrolling on the backcast. This makes for less room to accelerate on the forward cast, and to compensate, I release line late when the tip is lowered, which drives everything into the ground. Making a conscious effort to drift back a little instead of cheating forward, and a higher aiming point seem to help. The way I know Iím doing this is when my false casts look great, but the forward cast after the line is released, doesnít go as far as the false cast that preceded it.

Some things to consider may be looking into a club in your area. Lotís of them have informal casting clinics, and itís a great way to meet folks and get tons of info that will really help if youíre new to the area and SWFF.
Federation of Fly Fishers affiliated clubs in Florida
Locate a Club

You can also get a list of certified casting instructors from the main website Fly fishing information for everyone

A local fly shop might also be able to give you a few pointers.

A good site for info on casting and short free vid clips is Sexyloops - the best fly fishing and fly casting on-line magazine, seven days a week

Just out of curiosity, what kind/weight rod and line are you using? It may be that youíll need heavier artillery for SW if you have a light FW set up to deal with wind and big flies. I think it would probably make sense to work on your basic casting stroke until you can hit 60 feet, and then start to work the double haul stuff to reach out further. You should be able to eventually throw the whole line, or close to it, standing on a lawn on a calm day. Not that you'll have to throw that far to catch, but when you start wading and are lower to the water, add some wind you'll have a better chance of hitting 50-60 when you need to. Keep at it, you'll get there.

Good luck!

peregrines