View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM

budrichard will become famous soon enoughbudrichard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help with Fly Fishing in the Great Lakes Surf

Your Post caught my eye. As both a long time fly fisherman and sea kayaker, I have spent a lot of time time kayaking on Lake Michigan. If you have not spent a lot of time investigating what the shoreline is like, then you should do so before investing a lot of money in equipment.
Except for beaches, invariably the bottom drops sharply off and you would not have more than a few feet to comfortably wade in before going over your waders not to mention that you would have to be constantly guarding against just stepping off into deep water. Fishing from a small boat is a more reasonable alternative but that requires two individuals. When the lake looks like it has a light chop from a distance, it can be rough when you are in it. When it looks rough, you don't want to be in it. A quality PFD would be a must.
While kayaking I always carry a VHF Marine band radio that can be submerged.
Anyway, good luck in your endeaver and be safe but there are reasons you don't see people surf fishing the Great Lakes.
BTW where ever you have a stream entering the lake, you must watch out for strong currents-Dick