View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Power of Positive Thinking;

I'm doing my best at keeping a positive attitude for the remainder of the season here but like many other areas of North America water conditions are a problem. I've been fishing close to home for weeks because of flooding on the Kenai River that crested three weeks ago today, that would have been around September 1st. After a three week wait I was getting antsy and logged onto the USGS river gage site to see how things are down that way. Another Flood Advisory was posted for Today! It seems that while things have been relatively dry here in the MatSu Valley the poop has been hitting the Westinghouse in the upper Kenai River Basin.

So why the long face? The fall fishing on the lower Kenai is your best chance to reel in a 30" rainbow with a 19" girth. Now that's a big rainbow! With water levels high a tough job for a fly fisherman is made almost impossible. it is my intention to catch one on a fly. Not a weighted fly, not a plastic bead, and without big gobs of lead clamped to my leader to drag an offering to the bottom. Trust me this is a lofty goal and not one that I hear of many people attaining. I'll use my sinking leader but I'll also have an un-weighted streamer fly or a Skykomish Sunrise on my line not a plastic bead. The water will go down but I'm left wondering what the temperatures will be like when it does. The area I fish is 250 miles from home so I go and I camp. When it gets below freezing every night there is a whole new series of issues to deal with every morning. Things like heating a pan of water to thaw out your fishing boots and melting the frost off the steering wheel of the boat are among the things that I'm trying to remain positive about Then there's the 8 hours of standing in the river swinging flies with a possible high near 38*.

I could go on and talk myself out of trying but it won't do any good. I guess I just wanted to let you guys who are facing too low, too warm, or too high & muddy to know that things are not always as pretty as the pictures make it seem to be here. I'm going to take the motorcycle out now and go scouting some creeks farther up the valley now................

If you are having less that great water conditions at this time feel free to share them with me, I know what it's like.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;