Thread: fiber glass rod
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fiber glass rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i have found couple of cheaper old fiber glass rods can anyone recommend some good names
I like the Phillipsons. They were also rebranded and sold by Orvis, LLBean, Abacrombie Fitch and a number of other smaller shops. I have rods from Lamiglas and Wright & McGill that I like to fish too.
Many people think the Fenwicks are tops. The only one I own is a 'dog"
The Scientific Angler "System" rods are good. I'd also look for Browning-Siliflex, Heddon, Cortland, and maybe St Croix too.
There's lots of the Garcia-Conolon, Berkley and Shakespeare rods out there but the models differ in quality and need to be cast.
If you can find a Winston, buy it. Some of the other high end glass rods came from Scott, Thomas&Thomas, Leonard, Peak, and Cummings
You can get a general idea of the quality of glass rods by the number of guides that it has. A good rod will have a guide for every foot in length. (8 foot rod, 8 guides) Lesser rods will have skimped.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-25-2011 at 08:08 AM.