View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Ard,
Recently, I went through the 'new boots buying process' after my old felt bottom ones disintegrated. I wear a size 11 to 11.5 in street shoes so the comments are all focused on a size 12 wading boot. My feet are what one would consider normal (nothing special) - mid arches, neither wide nor narrow, no foot / bone issues

1) Patagonia Rock Grip: Supremely comfortable, they open up quite big so putting them on while wearing waders is ridiculously easy. They are really lightweight & have a full rubber rand that offers great protection against sharp objects encountered while wading. They come with the studs for the price $170.
Their rubber sole is very good.

2) Simms Rivershed: Priced to compete with the Paragonia Rock Grips. Again very comfortable, nice arch support. The studs are not included in the price ($170)

3) Simms Headwaters: Extremely light (comparable to the Patagonia's); great arch support and very comfortable great Vibram sole, studs are not included but I found these at a great price ($119) so decided to go with them. I screwed in the studs last night & will be evaluating them on a local stream this afternoon. I will provide some 'in use' comments shortly.

If I fished a lot, I would have chosen the Patagonia's w/o a doubt. However, due to family obligations I can only get out ~ once / month so the Simms Headwaters were ideal.

Hope this helps..

Shrish