Thread: Taos area
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Taos area

Just got back from New Mexico, Valle vidal, and Cimarron. Great trip, the weather couldn't have been better! Started off fishing the Palisades area of the Cimarron river. They just dumped a bunch of stockers in the stream and I think I found them. Caught 14 on a green sparkle wooly bugger #12 and a #16 Barr's emerger nymph. Then the family from Hell came along and I quit. Don't get me on that, except that I remembered why I don't like the Cimarron. Then drove up to Valle vidal( through Questa and Costilla) and camped in Cimarron campground( 1/2 mile from Shuree pond). The pond was reported as being 10 feet low. It is, but once you get out through the weeds into deeper middle you can fish pretty well from your float. We trolled a #12 olive wooly bugger, #12 hare's ear BH, and a few others. I tried a #6 double bead head Golden stone nymph for about a 1/2 hour and caught a beautiful 18-20 incher that was very fat and healthy. I did this against my better judgment, but I guess it takes big lures to catch big fish! There were 8 float tubers on the pond at one time, more than I usually see for late Sept. I think the word has gotten out about the place, darn it! Next day, fished the Rio Costilla, both upper and lower streams. I don't like the upper as well as the lower. Used #12-16 nymphs for starters including #12 damsel, #16 Barr's emerger, #12 hare's ear. Then later in day went to elk hair caddis dry fly #12. Caught a nice 10" first cast. Wound up catching another 8 fish on that bug. The stream was flowing around 18 cfs and was a bit slow but very fishable. We both caught about 12 fish each. I don't think there was a lot of difference in results between a #12 nymph or a #16 nymph, but they seemed to like the small #16 dries. We fished 2 more days with about the same results, except the upper Costilla wasn't as productive as the lower, don't know why. We had a very aggressive bear visit the campground for 2 nights in a row. I didn't get to see it which is fine, I don't like things that go bump in the night, especially when in a tent! I got to break in my new bamboo rod on a few stream trout. Still undecided on it, that's a different story for anther time, maybe. Went with the 8' RS4 instead. And finally, ran into a guy that wanted my buddy and I to give him about 200 yds of stream that we stayed out of so we didn't spook the fish for him. I guess he though when he paid $20 to camp on the stream, that entitled him to 200 yds of stream all by himself. My buddy called him a "Dork"! Was that wrong? OK, that's my report, got to get planning for next year. Don't tell anybody about the Valle vidal, OK?