View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Better nymphing....need tips

JCJ-

Hello neighbor! As we are in the same neck of the woods I'll taylor some tips to our local fisheries.

The successful nymph fisher understands one key issue- line/drag management. When I taught classes and guided this was the first hurdle to cross with clients and once mastered the successes came quite quickly.

-as a general rule the distance from the fly to the indicator should be roughly twice the distance as the depth of the water. This is a guideline- set the indicator higher in faster water and a little lower in slower water. For instance in a standard riffle stretch that is say two foot deep I am going to have my indicator set about 4 foot from the fly.

-stand perpendicular to the run to be fished and cast your rig about 10-15ft above the target water. This will allow time for the fly/flies to reach the bottom and give you a good drift through the strike zone.

-YOU WANT THE INDICATOR TO BE DRIFTING BELOW THE FLY. If you cast upstream, strip in line and elevate the rod tip to remove as much slack line as possible. If the line is managed in such a way that the indicator is downstream of the position of the flies on the stream bed you will detect a far greater amount of strikes. This IS the key to successful nymphing, those that master this have catch rates that make them more a predator than a fisher.

-Know where in the water column the fish are feeding! Many times we think that the trout are either feeding at the surface or on the bottom. Sometimes they are in between- pay attention and adjust weight/indicator depth as needed.

-if the fish are on the bottom don't think your fly is on the bottom UNTIL YOU KNOW IT'S ON THE BOTTOM. Your need to see your indicator moving and twitching as the rigs tick across the stream bed. SET THE HOOK ON ANY MOVEMENT UNTIL YOU CAN KNOW A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STREAM BED AND FISH. If you are NOT losing flies you are not serious about catching fish.

-use the smallest indicator you can- Thingabobbers. big Styrofoam indicators and the like suck to cast. Find the smallest indicator you can see- don't be the usual Taneycomo/Bennett Springs guy slurping their giant indicator on the backcast. Where possible use a dry fly such as a #14/16 elk hair caddis as the indicator with the line to the nymph tied directly to the bend in the caddis's hook.

Hope this helps- feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and fish- I'd be happy to help in any way-

R

Last edited by russellb; 10-01-2011 at 07:07 AM.