View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Golden Pheasant Spey

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This fly was designed by Bob Warren of Princeton, MA.

The recipe:
Hook: The G.P. Spey lends itself beautifully to hooks like Bob Veverka's Daiichi 2139

Tag: Oval copper tinsel, sized to suit hook size

Tail: Golden Pheasant crest over orange Polar Bear. I like the length just a bit longer than the fly's body.

Body: Rear half hot orange floss or silk, ribbed with oval copper tinsel and veiled with yellow Golden Pheasant rump feathers; black ostrich herl dividing the two body halves; front half oval copper tinsel wrapped in touching turns.

Hackle: Claret hackle (I like Whiting American hen; others may prefer cock.) Bob's original recipe calls for two Golden Pheasant breast feathers over the claret. I dyed a G.P. skin claret, and use those claret-dyed feathers....just looks so regal against the copper.

Head: Claret

I've found that its important to maintain a nice gradual taper on the front half of the body so that the copper tinsel lays down nicely with no gaps. Tinsel doesn't like steep tapers!

The materials:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]