View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default East River Kokanee

The Kokanee run in the East River is at peak or a little past. lots of fish in the river and still in good shape. I caught 15 yesterday, but only 2 in the mouth. I am still not convinced they can be consistently fair hooked, but still trying! I tried an indicator with split shot and then decided to try a sink tip with an unweighted San Juan worm on a #10 hook. I thought this might be more sensitive. Still foul hooked fish!
You must slowly raise your fly before you cast in order to reduce the chance of foul hooking these guys.
I looked over the egg taking operation while I was there. Very interesting! The fish move up the outflow into a pond and from there up and into the raceways. It was amazing to see how fast they can move up through 4" of fast flowing water and to watch them jump the artificial waterfalls in the raceways.
I have also read some things about fly fishermen snagging and killing so many Kokanee that the DOW cannot make their egg quotas. This is pure bull! No fishing is allowed below the outlet where the fish move into the egg taking raceways. The only fish taken by fly fishermen have overshot the outlet and consequently are not available for egg taking and artificial spawning.