View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Contoversy re: egg patterns

I really don't consider using glo bugs/egg patterns to be unethical. Dipping them in salmon egg juice is another matter, but as long as its scent/taste free, a fly is a fly.

I would think that those who would complain about egg patterns being unethical are the same folks who think using any synthetic materials of a fly keeps it from being a "fly" and that those of us who use "plastic" rods (graphite) instead of their beloved bamboo aren't really fly fishers. We may not be die-hard traditionalists who think its okay to spend twice as much time maintaining a fly line as they do fishing it, but its all still fly fishing in my book.

I'll have to admit, I saw some "fly rod spinnerbaits" on ebay the other day and had doubts as to whether that counts, but you know, why not? I figure as long as the weight of the line is propelling the hook-bearing-non-scented-or-flavored-item through the air and not the other way around, its fly fishing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.