View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Bottom line: If the salmon are there (especially true of Sockeye), the bears are there. The salmon are their primary food source, and they need the fish to pack on fat for the long Ak winters. Next summer will be my 14th year travelling up to what I think of as heaven. I've "seen" bears every year, some close, some not so close. Only ever felt threatened twice, and only one incident in which pepper spray was used by a Russian River Ferry ranger. As far as the Blacks are concerned, I actually had one come out of the brush behind me, grab my stringer of Sockeye which was about a foot from my feet, and run back into the brush. I never heard the bear coming, and only when it was actually grabbing the fish did I see it. Talk about leaving a brown streak! I think I actually blew out my waders. I learned my lesson.....

Be prepared, be alert, and know how to properly retreat when in doubt. Ain't no fish worth a bear on your back!

I guess, what I'm saying is if the thought of potentially sharing the fishing grounds with four legged carnivours terrifies you don't go!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.