View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Mouse Fly pattern ???

Simple question for any of you that may have tried tying a Mouse Fly, or are an expert at tying them.

I tied a Mouse Fly the other day & tried it this past Saturday while fishing for Smallmouth. I had grabbed a larger Bass hook I found at my tying bench & proceeded to stack & pack lots of deer hair. ( I tied it with the hookpoint facing upward just in case I fished a area sometime with lily pads.) After the fly was completed I trimmed up the bottom with a razor, added some eyes & it didn't look too bad.

My question is : After fishing it for a while I noticed that the fly no longer sat upright on the water. At first, it sat perfectly with the hook upward, but later it sat on it's side. I did try some dry fly floatant, but that did not seem to help. I did hook a nice smallie with the fly even though it sat sideways in the water. He did not seem to care. He hit it the first time & missed so I moved the fly just a bit & then he proceeded to pounce on it like a tank. Any thoughts besides the fly was probably water soaked ???

Oh, I did mimic my fly after one I saw in a recent article in a flyfishing magazine. If you have a pattern that stays upright I be interested in seeing what you may have, if you'll share.

Tie One On----------------------<*))))))))><