Thread: Rod Question
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod Question

Teamanglerx, like yourself, I'm pretty new to fly fishing. As a spin fisherman I always liked lightweight tackle. I've covered myself with 4, 6 and 8 wt rods. I cast quite a few before buying. I ended up with 4 and 8 wt Sage Launch rods. I tried more expensive rods but, found the Launch rods better fit my casting style. The 4 wt works great on pan fish and small bass. I've also caught some smallies and trout in streams. The 6 wt is fun for the same fish but will handle bigger, heavier flies. I find the 4 wt doesn't cast big streamers and poppers as well. That would be a consideration when deciding. What flies are you throwing as much as what fish are you targeting. For 6 wt I got a St Croix Avid. Again, this worked better for me than more expensive, faster rods. So in a way, I was lucky enough to find relatively inexpensive rods that worked well for me. All my rods are 9' with an 8' 4 wt Avid for small streams. If I had to restrict myself to one rod, I'd have a 9' 6 wt.