View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Ice on the guides, can they be kept clean ?

Good day all,

I took the day off from work after several weeks of massive output on a project & I headed for one of my favorite trout/steelhead rivers in western Michigan, the Rouge. It was snowing most of the morning with an air temp of around 29 degrees & the water was around 37 degrees. One thing that quickly became apparent was that the ice build-up on the guides needed to be cleaned off about every 15 minutes or so. I am somewhat used to this living & fishing in Michigan, but thought I might ask if anyone has any solution that may help to lessen cleaning so often ? ( I know the obvious answer is to move someplace warmer, but that will not be happening. Michigan steelhead are absolutely awesome. ) Is there something that can be put on the guides ?
Oh, I did catch two nice browns while out today. The second one was hooked while cleaning off the ice out of the guides. I felt a tug on the line, set the hook with my hand & pulled him in with just the line. Quite fun. Seriously I am asking if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks & have a Merry CHRISTmas,

Tie One On