View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Furled leaders even off a 2-hander.

Started using these on my trip to Montana (including on a 13' 3wt 2-hander) as majority of the fishing would be with dry flies ..... damned small dry flies.

Had to go to 'wakers' with the spey as the darned fly was so far away the only thing you could see was the 'wake' it was making on the water. With standard (again 3wts) they were a total treat to use.

Thursday's mail brought me several new ones to use on my Summer Run spey's (5 and 6 wts) from the 'Furl Girl' aka utahflygoddess (posts as Joni here) on the Internet. As these were going to be used on 'bigger fish' she actually built them using Kevlar thread!

Amazing things! Six footer on the 5 wt and a 10 foot on the 6 with a couple feet of regular leader (4# Maxima/size 6 flies, weighted and un-weighted) tied off to the tiny 'tippet rings' these things come built with. Some (don't know the how of it) are actually 'sinking leaders' and boy do they sink! The real amazing thing is these leaders DON'T hinge during your cast. Nada-zip-nothing ..... not even the 4 pound leader bit.

Very tight weave on these things so they cast out like a bolt coming off a cross bow. If you haven't tried these, give it a go ... you'll love it. Better yet, they're quite inexpensive.
fae