View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Some Alaskan Fish Pictures;

Here are some from 2011, the search for the 2 foot trout continues but I have been catching more as fall goes on toward winter. I've had a couple dandies on the fly but they escaped before there would be a photo session.

I took three kings and then released the rest, these were taken on three successive days. After I stopped killing them I was able to catch several each day, when you take a fish you must stop fishing but if you release you may continue.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Next came the Chums & Sockeye; Chum all released and socks harvested. Too bad the Chum aren't as good on the table because I got a bunch.

This is not a big Sockeye (7 lb) but it chased the fly (Freight Train) all the way across the river and then hit it like it had insulted a hen! This is rare for the Socks but when fresh the males can and often will be aggressive. This tends to vary from river system to system. I've fished them in rivers where they will not stop swimming upstream long enough to even see a fly let alone grab it.

With the coming of the Silver Salmon runs I was able to round out the salmon selection for the table, we are well stocked with King, Sock, and Silvers After the salmon harvesting is done I turn the attention to fishing for trout. During the past 6 weeks I have caught an incredible number of silver salmon who were in various stages of the change from what I call a Silver over to what I call a Coho. They are beautiful fish and are quite the challenge on an 8 pound leader and trout rod. It was hard to sort a trout form these guys. These pictures demonstrate the sequence of color change they display.

I've never taken a picture of a ripe Coho before but this guy was actually beautiful to see, still strong and prime for breeding. And like the guy said in the original Dirty Harry movie "My, that's a big one"

I'll stick another post on here with trout, grayling and char in it soon.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;