View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 AM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough
Default New Member from NM

Hello Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have grown up fishing all my life here in NM, mostly the small trout streams. My weapon of choice was typically an ultra lite spinning rig using small Panther Martin spinners. A couple of years ago I was invited on a company fishing trip up to the San Juan river below Navajo Lake. I was a little nervous about the trip being kind of intimidated by fly fishing as a whole, but I borrowed some equipment and went for it. I went out with my boss the evening we got there and was a little skeptical at the idea of hooking some of the big trout I saw in the water with the tiniest little wet fly that looked like nothing more than a scrap of thread wrapped around a tiny barbless hook. To make a long story short I hooked and netted my first fly caught trout, a nice 19" Rainbow in my first hour on the river, and I have to say I was hooked as much as that fish.

I have been back to the San Juan a few times and many of the other rivers in northern NM. I have picked up my own gear and although a complete novice, I really want to get better. I hope to learn a lot from you vets on this forum.

James.