View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vintage Orvis CFO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I too am guessing but I would say 1980's. An earlier version would have a "T" shaped pillar where the line guard screws on and an even older one would have a screw-mounted spindle visable from the plate side. A fine reel in good condition, however, IMO good for #3 or 4 line...indadaquit backing capacity for #5+ though others may disagree.
You are probably right about the year of the reel.

You are probably right about the backing capacities. By today's standards, 25 to 50 yards won't do for a modern 6 to 7 weight forward floating line, as well as, double taper floating lines. Back in the day, I don't think capacity was much of an issue as compared to today.

One of my regular customers had me change out all his lines and backing on his CFO 3 spools. He used them on his 5 weight rod. His floater was a 5 weight. His sink tips and full sink lines were 6 weights. Even though I did not check how much backing was put on, I don't think that I put more than 60 to 80 yards on each spool.

Talking of sweet setups, his CFO 3 looked beautiful on his Winston BIIx.

Dennis