View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vintage Orvis CFO?

I stand corrected by my friend, Ard, a truly attuned Hardy user. I just pulled a Hardy-built CFO III (the pictured one above I think is a CFO II) from a drawer and, sure enough, the pawl and spring mounting hardwear rivits are a give-away. Yes, Hardy Reels, my decreassing radius check adjuster was set to minimum.

I also agree with Orvis reel service for these reels. I recently sent them one of their Argentine-built Presentation models that I thought sufford a potentialy fatal problem; its spindle sheath, which encloses its spring loaded ball spool lock pulled free. I could not fix it but they rejuvinated it perfectly for no charge.

MP, I agree that a good Hardy-built CFO is a charmeer on a small stream outfit. When these reels were made, rods, booth graphite, glass and cane were heavier than today and I felt then as I do now that, not just for capacity but also balance and proportion, that both Hardy and Orvis rated too small reels for a given line size rod. I recall a Delaware River fishing friend buying a used CFO III for his Scott 5-weight in the early 80's (pre-gelspun backing), and rigging it with #12 Micron to achieve sufficient backing capacity.

Somehow, the use of the words "gel-spun" and "CFO" in the same sentance don't seem right. I appologize.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 10-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.