View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vintage Orvis CFO?

I stand corrected by my friend, Ard, a truly attuned Hardy user. I just pulled a Hardy-built CFO III (the pictured one above I think is a CFO II) from a drawer and, sure enough, the pawl and spring mounting hardwear rivits are a give-away. Yes, Hardy Reels, my decreassing radius check adjuster was set to minimum.

I also agree with Orvis reel service for these reels. I recently sent them one of their Argentine-built Presentation models that I thought sufford a potentialy fatal problem; its spindle sheath, which encloses its spring loaded ball spool lock pulled free. I could not fix it but they rejuvinated it perfectly for no charge.

MP, I agree that a good Hardy-built CFO is a charmeer on a small stream outfit. When these reels were made, rods, booth graphite, glass and cane were heavier than today and I felt then as I do now that, not just for capacity but also balance and proportion, that both Hardy and Orvis rated too small reels for a given line size rod. I recall a Delaware River fishing friend buying a used CFO III for his Scott 5-weight in the early 80's (pre-gelspun backing), and rigging it with #12 Micron to achieve sufficient backing capacity.

Somehow, the use of the words "gel-spun" and "CFO" in the same sentance don't seem right. I appologize.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 10-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.