Thread: Alaska Silvers
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Guy M is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alaska Silvers

We stayed at the very nice lodge run by Alaskan Wilderness Outfitters.

Alaskan Wilderness Outfitting Company ~ Alaska Fishing and Wilderness Adventures

Tom and Katie are very gracious hosts and Dan really knows the river. Weather shortened our stay - we couldn't get out to the Tsiu River from Cordova for a couple of days because of weather. Dan put us on silvers all day long. The last afternoon we fished was remarkable. I believe I hooked and released about 15 - 20 salmon, most in the 10 - 13 pound range. Dad and a friend of ours each landed several in the 15 - 18 pound range.

Mostly we used 8wt rods. I used a St. Croix Legend Ultra, a good rod that I bought years ago for these silvers. It's also worked out well on our Washington steelhead. Mostly I used a sink tip line and a 15# leader - not tapered. A green & white Clouser was a good one in deeper, faster water. A Popsicle worked great in more shallow water.

If I was going to do it myself, I'd bring two good tents. One for the food, and another, well away from the food tent, for sleeping. A good weatherproof tent would be necessary. It rains and blows like crazy there. I'd also take the bear threat seriously, and would bring a big flashlight, bear spray and a powerful firearm. During the day we had no problems at all with the bears, but at night they prowl that river... I'd also locate my camp well away from the river.

I snapped a couple of photos of one near the mouth:
Click the image to open in full size.

Regards, Guy