Thread: Large Arbor
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

here's a weird reply, i sort of disagree with Doug, but I'm going to make another point for his case.

I generally like large arbor reels and think they have a legitimate advantage over conventional reels. However I recommend avoiding those with a shallow arbor like the plague. Example: the Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill. Pretty reel, but their "8 weight size" had to be filled WAY too completely to get a WF8F and enough backing on there. Solution: mid-arbor reels. Examples: Lamson Velocity and Radius, Ross Rhythym. Faster line pick-up, more wiggle room.

Another drawback of large arbor reels is their size. To get that larger arbor, you generally need to use more weight to make the reel. The other option is to machine the metal down further to reduce weight. This leads to reels that are either heavy, expensive, or weak. I view the reels mentioned above as some of the best performers in those three areas of critique.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.