View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Had a pee-in-your-waders day yesterday!

You know the kind. The fishin' is so good you hate to take the time to get out, find a bush and pull down your waders to take a pee.
This is what happened. I got to the tailwater at noon and headed to my favorite spot. No one was there! Not only that, but trout were rising everywhere and a BWO hatch was on! (It gets better!)
The first fly I put on, a #20 parachute, worked! When was the last time TH
AT happened?
The hatch continued for 6 hours! (THAT has never happened!) I landed 19, and except for 4, all were between 16 and 18 inches! I lost at least another 12 (had to use 6x tippet to get it through the hook eyes), most on head shaking jumps, including one pig that I estimated at 24-26 inches. I hooked him when I decided to try a brown wooly bugger on the pod of huge suspended rainbows I saw at the head of a pool. He hit the first fly I tried on the fourth cast! (When was the last time THAT happened?) Anyway, it was the only brown wooly bugger I had and he broke off my 4X tippet in the weeds, so back to the dries.
It was an awesome day and makes up for the string of miserable trips I have become accustomed too during this summer of unprecedented runoff. Everything eventually averages out if you live long enough.