View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is Happening in Twin Bridges?

S&S, this statement has me wondering: a one-coat overlapping onto the blank style.
I only started using better rods since the early '80's but having the guide coating overlap the thread and guides was something I watched a gent I respected as very knowledgeable look for as an assset and must-haves.
He told me at the time that without that overlap water, salt and ice can more freely get entrapped under the wraps and wreak havok. That made a lot of sense to me and is something I've looked for as a sign of a quality build ever since.
Now bamboo, being so heavy to start with needs all of the help it can get so minimal coating thickness makes sense !
Perhaps modern 'boo makers kept a tradition or copied the style needed when all the earlier makers had to work with was varnish to cover the thread wraps. In seeing very many older bamboo rods that need rewrapping could it be that their technique wasn't exactly the best and over time it was learned that a different technique and coating material was needed to protect the wraps not only from the eleiments but from the wear constant casting caused on the coating and hence the wraps?
Thanks for getting me thinking so early in the weekend. I needed a jump-start!