View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Whats going on out there

This is a tough one to try to guess at from Alaska but I'll try. Were you catching brown trout before? If so fall is time for reproduction and the mature fish along with a host of juveniles will migrate to the tail out water of the runs and pools. actually they will go where ever the hens are at so it's time to do some walking. If you have good looking water but all small fish then it's time for a nice big feather wing streamer fly and a sink tip or lead head to get that fly down. If you have nice deep riffles between the pools don't overlook these when swinging a streamer. In the swift stuff I'd choose a Whitlock Sculpin but in the pools and tails it may not produce as well. Trial and results will be your guide as to which fly to use. I have always preferred streamers over all other flies in fall / winter / spring conditions. Only when the fish are popping the surface hard do I go to dries.

Fall changes everything no matter where you fish, the fish move with the seasons in most areas unless you have spring creeks close at hand you have to go find them in winter quarters.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;