Thread: Casting Issues
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough
Default Casting Issues

Ok, I am pretty much a newbie as far as fly fishing goes. I got my first real taste about five or six years ago, I was very lucky to get my first real experience on the San Juan River here in NM and I succsefully netted some large rainbows. I have continued fishing streams and rivers here in NM to varying degrees of succces.

So that leads me to this week end, I had a great time taking my 77 year old father and my two sons to a local lake/pond that stock trout for catch and release. What became very apperant was that I have some casting issues. On the smaller rivers and streams it is not so bad, I rarely have to through out past 20 or 30 feet at the most. But on this lake the trout that were rising were out at 50 to 60 ft and I just couldn't get there. I was able to land a few out to maybe 35 or 40 ft fairly close to where I had seen a rise, but more often than not my line would coil up out at 20 50 25 ft or so, and I also snapped off 4 or 5 flys. I know these are multiple issues but I could sure use some tips. I understand that typically snapping the fly off is because I am starting my fore cast a little early, maybe? Any way, could use some help.

By the way my set up is a Cabelas Three Forks rod 9 ft 5 wt medium action, I picked this up as a package from Cabelas with Ross Flycast Reel loaded with some basic WF5F line and a Rio 9' 6x tapered leader. I was throwing mostly small drys.