Thread: Casting Issues
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting Issues

It would really help to see you casting on video. Some of it I think we can fix from what you are telling us, but it really would help to see it.

Questions;
When the flies snapped off, was it in the back cast and did it make a cracking whip noise?

Do you know how to double haul? The related question, if you were not hauling on your forward cast what did the distance between your hands do as you were going into the last forward cast?

Note: That rod is, although not very expensive, capable of casting really far. It actually performs a lot better than you should count on from a rod that sells for $49.95.

OK, where you said "I understand that typically snapping the fly off is because I am starting my fore cast a little early, maybe?" I'm pretty sure that's it as long as all of them are snapped off in the back cast. You need to let your loop roll out before you go into your forward cast. If you ever had a whip as a kid, you know the move to get that cool CRACK! sound. It's the same thing with a fly rod. If you have trouble stopping the problem, look back at your backcast.

The line piling up in coils sounds like you are killing your line speed going into your forward cast. While you are setting here reading this, put you rod hand up like you are holding the rod. Put your other hand like you do holding the line. As you go into the forward cast, does your line hand move with it or not? If you are allowing your hands to get closer it feeds line out of the rod stopping the rod from fully loading, killing your line speed and it will flutter and die in little coils. I can't be sure this is what you are doing without seeing it. It sounds like it though. If you are not hauling, you should learn to do it.

There are some good videos on you tube. Once you get the double haul down you should be able to get past the 60 foot mark with the greatest of ease.

Tie a small piece of yarn on a leader and go out in the yard and try this. If it doesn't fix the problems, video tape yourself casting and post it someplace we can see it and we'll go from there.