View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ross Canyon Big Game 4

If you fish the salt with it, I would recommend you immerse it completely in hot fresh water with the drag off and strip all the fly line off then reel it in under the water. Then do it again with a little more drag setting.

Finally clamp down the drag, with the reel out of the water, and strip some line off, then release it all the way and let it dry with the spool removed. You should also make sure you spin the delrin knob well with a drop of soap on it then rinse well.

Neither the drag nor the handle on the BG 5 likes the salt at all and I would assume the 4 is the same way. I wound up with a handle knob that would not turn, and wound up removing it by milling the screw out of the spool on a vertical milling machine. No other way to get it out because it was frozen solid. Ross sent me a new knob screw and stud at no cost. I wound up taking 0.003" inch off the new knob end, and have had no further problems.

But you have to religiously rinse/clean both knob and drag.